Monday, March 5

starting class again

For the past month I have not been teaching my normal intensive grammar classes. During the month of February the students here have a month off from lectures and this is their exam period. Their exams are based solely on memorizing all the material from their books. The professors may give an oral exam, which consists of three questions that you must answer exactly how the professor wants (sometimes word for word from the book.) The education system here is now starting to change and therefore many professors are starting to give written exams. Still the grading system is often biased and not fair. The grade you receive on your final exam is your grade for the class. Therefore the students put a lot of time and effort into studying during this month, and I gave them the month off from my class.

Today I start up class again. I am excited to see my students again on a regular basis and start teaching again. My advanced class consists of about 15 students and we meet on Mondays and Wednesdays. I really enjoy this class and the group of students in it. Over the past month I had coffee with this group of students a few times and it was exciting to see them bonding together and growing in their friendships.

No comments: