Friday, March 2

friday

Across the street from my flat is a large mosque. Today, Friday, the street is crowded and many men can be seen hanging around the mosque. Today is their holy day. Its impossible to find a parking place on the street around 12:00 on Fridays. (I am glad my car was parked last night and I have not moved it today.) All stores are still open today, and nothing else changes. Sometimes it seems like the call to prayer (which goes off five times a day from a loud speaker on the tower of the mosque) is louder on Fridays, but I am not sure of this.

Today is our day off from teaching. We tend to stay busy on the weekends, so do not get much rest then, so I decided not to teach on Fridays. Its the one day of the week that I can sleep as late as I want and stay in my pajamas all day if I want. (But I have found thats not a good habit, because you never know who will show up at your door. Better to be dressed and ready for the unexpected.) I try not to make many plans on Friday and use this day as a day of rest....or a day to get caught up on work on the computer (which is what I will do today.)

Tomorrow my roommate and I, along with some other friends, will go to my old city for the weekend. We will visit the mountains and enjoy time with some old friends. So, no updates until Monday.

No comments: