Tuesday, February 6

a great day

The last 24 hours were very enjoyable for me...enough so that I turned my computer back on to write this. Now don't get too excited, nothing out of ordinary happened today, but it was good. For some reason I don't want to go to sleep right now, so I will tell you all about my day.

Last night was the first time in the four years I have been here that I was able to watch the Superbowl live. Now I can't say I am a big football (American or European) fan...but there is something about not being able to do something that makes you want it more. And I believe the longer I am away from America the more I miss American pastimes...even ones I didn't like in America. So although at 10pm last night I was falling asleep, I stayed awake until 12 to see if the superbowl might be shown live on a cable channel here. Well I was lucky. I found it. And thankfully the first quarter of the game was fairly interesting, so it woke me up and I watched. I faded in and out of sleep during the second quarter, watched the half time, talked to a friend on the phone during the third quarter, and fell asleep sometime during the fourth quarter. I woke up with the game over, disappointed the bears didn't win (not that I really cared which team won, but from the start of the game I decided to cheer for the Bears because I have lived in Illinois and the Cubs beat the Patriots. Based solely on those two reasons I rooted for the Bears during the game...and they lost...can you tell I am really sad.)

Well I moved to my bedroom at 4am and continued sleeping. Amazingly I woke up a few minutes before my alarm went off at 10am and was awake when someone called following up on a project. I got some work done in the morning, went out to eat for lunch and for 1 euro had a wonderful sandwich. Then I bought some groceries and rested for a few minutes back at my flat before heading out for some coffee visits. At 3pm I met a friend for coffee. Although it wasn't so in the morning when I made plans for coffee with this person, she was having a really bad day at work, and I was a much enjoyed break from her day. I left there encouraged and happy.

As I was walking another friend called and I met her for coffee...this without plan. I hadn't seen this friend for a few days, and I am used to seeing her often, so again it was a welcome and enjoyable visit. I convinced this friend to come back to my flat, and we hung out with my roommate and watched a movie.

So that was my day...as I said in the beginning...nothing special...nothing out of the ordinary...but very good. I can not specifically pinpoint why I enjoyed this day so much, but I did. Now if I can just get rid of my constant chocolate craving all will be well. Why is it that I have a desire to eat chocolate 24 hours a day? This isn't normal for me...what happened???

No comments: