Tuesday, December 5

My stove

The sun has been shining for two days now and I am happy. Sunday night there was a lot of fog again, and I started to get slightly depressed. Its amazing how much the weather changes my mood. Today I have been very happy, and eager to get out of my flat and go for a walk (which actually won't ever happen - except for the short walk to class.)

The big news for today is that I have a wood stove. Electricity here is very expensive, and last winter, although I was only here for part of it, I was cold. Using electric heaters, it takes more money than I am willing to spend to get a room warm. Last winter I kept thinking back to the joy of the wonderful heat the wood stove in my last house provided. Its a different type of warmth...okay a little smokey....but really toasty warm. I love it. So I looked around and decided to buy myself a woodstove. I think I will end up saving money in the long run - and for sure I will be warmer. I actually bought the stove on Saturday night, but then when we got it upstairs we realized we didn't have all the right pieces. Then sunday was my landlord's daughter's birthday, so we left it another day. Yesterday I was busy getting ready for class....and finally today we put the stove together. Although its fairly warm today and there is not a need for a fire, I started one up right away . I was too excited. Thankfully the fire started quickly (we'll see if they are always that easy. Sometimes it takes forever to get the fire started) and warmed up the room nicely. I am very happy to have a stove again. The best part of this stove is that it is small, unlike the typical cooking stoves here that are really big, but it still has a part to cook in (I love cooking in a wood stove - gives me a nice sense of accomplishment) and the fire part has a pretty glass window so you can see the fire. Its just wonderful. I will try to borrow someone else's camera and take a picture soon.

Ok, I am off to teach now.

No comments: