Sunday, April 15

Again I ask myself...where did the days go? Before I knew it, the week was over, and nothing was written on here. Sorry. Right now I am trying to think back on my week, and its all a blur. Mostly this is probably because I am tired right now. For most of the week I was sick, and didn't have a voice. I canceled classes on Monday and Tuesday, as I was struggling to make audible sounds come out of my mouth. On Tuesday morning I thought I was feeling better...and then I answered the phone...and still there was nothing. It really is a challenge to talk on the phone when sound doesn't come out of your mouth. The frustrating part was that the harder I tried to talk, the less anything came out. I resorted to talking in a quiet whisper...and usually this allowed me some form of communication.

Unfortunately for my health, the weather was wonderful this week and I couldn't stay inside....which meant not much rest. Even though I couldn't talk, I spent a lot of time at the park this week. It was wonderful to be outside in the fresh air.

For class on Wednesday I came up with a discussion activity where my students rotated playing teacher and facilitating different discussion topics. It was so hard for me to keep quiet. For some reason, I felt very talkative this week. I kept trying to talk, even when nothing came out. Often when I went out last week, I told myself, "Ok, you can go out, but don't talk." Well this was nearly impossible...and therefore I think my voice is still recovering.

On Thursday I thought playing a game during class would be easy for my voice, but it was quite the opposite as I had to attempt to speak louder than my rowdy students. But they all had fun, and ...my voice is still recovering. (I don't know the meaning of staying home and resting.)

By Friday sound was coming out of my mouth, but it sounded very funny. It definitely wasn't my voice. I kept being surprised when I spoke and wondering who was really speaking. Now my voice is much better just a little scratchy once in awhile. I am still coughing terribly, but hopefully that will end soon also.

On Sunday my roommate and I went to visit two of our students and their families. They live in a city about an hour away from where I live, in a city based at the mountains. I really enjoyed being back to the mountains, as thats where I used to live when I first came here. Again the weather was wonderful and it was nice to be out. Although I was tired by the end, it was a very good day.

No comments: