Tuesday, November 7

Election day and chicken poppyseed casserole

It is election day and I am in Europe. This morning I watched CNN and felt like I was being a good American and staying on top of current events. Tonight I will watch it again and see how things are going. But I am a bad American because I did not vote. I used to not pay much attention to politics, so I never registered to get an absentee ballot here. Lately I have started paying more attention, but I will just wait until the next presidential election. Strange to think that I will actually be in America for that.

Tonight I made dinner for some friends. I love cooking and I love chicken poppyseed casserole. I learned to make this dish in Jefferson City, TN, New Year's Eve, 1997 (going into 1998). I was visiting a friend I had met the previous summer while I worked at the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed the dish, and have been making it ever since. Its so good, and so easy. Little did I know at that point that I would eventually move to TN and go to restaurants that serve chicken poppyseed casserole. That's when I found out how much of a southern tradition this dish is. I could go on about food and cooking...but I have lots of work to do tonight. Maybe I will share more another time... for example about my first introduction to Skyline chili...here in the Balkans... Random I tell you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So are you gonna give us the receipe.

Unknown said...

Recipe? No way....its a secret.

Actually I don't follow a recipe. The casserole consists of chicken (boiled and shredded), cream of mushroom soup (if in america- just the can of condensed soup, if in the Balkans- make a packet of soup with half the water), sour cream, and poppyseeds with a buttery scracker topping (crushed up crackers with melted butter). So add all that stuff together and cook it until its done. I usually serve it with rice.