Wednesday, September 12

4 years

September 10th marked my four year anniversary of being here. I can no longer say like it seems I have been here a sort time. For sure it has gone by quickly, but more it feels like I have been here forever. When I think back about when I first applied to come here and I thought it would be for just one year, I laugh. I remember when I was at the conference and I found out they were no longer sending people for just one year. I had to commit to two years or nothing at all. I almost left right then. I thought to myself, I can do one year, but two, thats really long! Wow, I have changed.

Four years, now thats a long time. But I love it here. This has become my home. I have become part Albanian, and the thought of returning to the States is really hard. Next month I will take the GRE (I finally have the date so I really have to study now) and will apply for graduate school. For sure I am going back to the states next summer. My brother and his wife are having a baby and I am ready to spend some time with my family again. Still its hard. I can not imagine what my life will look like back in the states...living in Massachusetts.

I am absolutely thankful that I am an American, and that has been shown to me loud and clear again and again while living here. At the same time, I enjoy being an American living overseas. Although I often hate the extra attention I receive as an American, its not so bad. They love us here, which is actually hard to come by as an American these days while in a foreign country. When I go back to the states I am just another anybody. That will be strange.

Although this country I am living in has many problems, it has many great sides to it also. The people are the most giving and hospitable people I have ever met. Hopefully I have learned some from them, but I will never compare to their selfless hospitality at all times. Families are still very important here and bound together tightly. Even as adults, more time is spent with family than friends. Life goes at an easy, relaxed pace here. Coffee breaks are a must. I could go on and on about how I love this place, these people, this culture but I am here for another 9 months or so, so I need to try to focus on today and enjoy it for what it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on hitting the four year mark. Another item to note would be the appearance of growth in your country over the past four years, if noticed only by the technological advances that have allowed you to remain increasingly connected with the States.