Saturday, July 28

pray for rain

I forgot to mention this, please can you all pray for rain here. I asked some of my summer students who have been here for the whole month of July, has it rained since you have been here. They responded, once for about 5 minutes. The weather is unbearably hot at times, getting up to 110 or more, and the land is dry. There are many fires and there is not much water left to put them out.

Last Sunday as we were driving back from the beach many areas of the mountains were on fire. At that point I had been away from the news for a long time, and didn't know why we kept seeing so many fires. Then on Wednesday I went into the mountains near my old city to visit the Leadership camp going on there. The plan for that day was supposed to be a hike further up the mountain with all the campers, and the "big game" on top of the mountain. This didn't happen because the mountain was on fire. The night before they watched the flames spreading and entire trees engulfing in flames. That morning they packed up their stuff, expecting to be evacuated. Thankfully the firemen came and were able to stop the fire from spreading further down the mountain...at least for the time being. A few of us went to go help the firemen, but by the time we got there it was all under control and we just wandered through the ashes. I had never seen a forest fire before, and wished I brought my camera with me (but when thinking I would be near actual flames, left it behind.) That day the smoke still bellowed out from different parts of the mountain, but in the evening you could only see flames in a few areas, all very distant and small.

No comments: