Sunday, September 24

Ramazan

The Muslim month of fasting began today. For the next 3o days many of the people here in my country will not eat, drink, or smoke during daylight hours. In the evenings there will be feasts and celebrations, and some will even wake up at 4am before the sun rises to eat a small meal.

Tonight I walked through the city around 6pm. The streets were busy with people rushing to get home in time for Iftar, a light meal or sweet to break fast. The bakeries were crowded with people waiting in line for fresh samun, a special English muffin type bread eaten specifically during this month. As it got closer to 6:38 (sunset) the streets were more deserted. A few stragglers rushed back from the stores to get the special sweets eaten only during this month. As I walked past the mosque in my neighborhood a bunch of young children jubilantly ran out of the courtyard yelling something I couldn't understand (I will have to ask someone tomorrow). Then the call to prayer started - the people could now eat.

During this time I am thankful for the freedom I have in Christ. When I fast, I do it because God leads me to, and He gives me strength to endure. Today I will rest in His glory, His love, and His grace poured out on me.

No comments: