Wednesday, September 3

grad school starts today

So I am having trouble focusing on anything. If I am home, and I get on my computer I am distracted by the internet and bothered by the solitude. So today I decided to head out to my grad school class a bit early and stop by a Panera to work on my computer. (They have free internet and its only $1.70 for a never ending cup of coffee.) But here I am distracted by all the conversations going on around me...and now I have to go to the bathroom and I am not sure to leave my computer here or not.

A bit earlier there was a family sitting next to me and they were speaking another language. I kept listening trying to figure out what they were speaking....always hopeful to find a fellow albanian speaker. Then my phone rang and my friend from Kosova was calling me. I preceded to speak Albanian on the phone....not even thinking about it. After I hung up, the people next to me asked what language I was speaking. Gosh, why didn't I just ask them first. I found out they were speaking Hebrew, which would have been my guess due to the throat sounds. They told me they were trying to figure out what language I was speaking, as they know many different languages. I explained that Albanian is like none other, and began sharing a bit about my previous five years.

Speaking of the Albanian language, I went out on my mom's boat on Monday, and while cruising through a pretty area I saw a boat named "Kismet." I thought, hmmm, thats albanian for "fate." The first time past the boat I didn't say anything, but the second time past it I asked what the name of their boat meant. I found out its not only Albanian, but also Turkish, with the same meaning.

Well I have my first class as a grad student in an hour. I am not sure if I am ready to be a student again. But I am surely ready to be doing something and meet some people. Wish me luck!

No comments: