Wednesday, March 26

Portland - the rainy city

I arrived in Portland late last night, and was informed by my taxi driver that Monday was sunny and 70, but the forecast for the rest of the week is rain. I read something about Portland that told me not to use an umbrella as I will stand out as an outsider, and just to bear the rain as it's typically not heavy and does to last long. 

This morning I kept looking out the window to see if it was raining before heading out, and it didn't look like it was, but everything was wet. Of course when I walked outside, it was raining. I still decided to enjoy a walk an try to find a non Starbucks coffee shop. 

I arrived at Pete's coffee, which also looks like a chain, but it isn't Starbucks and that was my qualifier. Sadly, after ordering a regular coffee I saw a sign for a Mayan Mocha...I think I will get that to go. (Edit: I did get it over ice, and it was delicious...rich cocoa and cinnamon with a peppery kick.) 

The sun is now trying to peak through the clouds, I should go find the convention center and pick up my conference registration materials. 

Also of note, it's very exciting to see trees blooming. I doubt the famous rose test garden is in bloom yet, but I think I will check it out. 

No comments: