Sunday, August 3

one week

Its hard to believe that I only have one week before I get on a plane and say bye to this country. I had lunch with some friends today and as we were talking about my departure, I realized that its probably not going to hit me that I am staying in America, until I am there for a couple weeks at least. At first it will be just like vacation...except I will be moving into my grandfather's house, preparing for work, and getting ready for school.

Its hard to pack up 5 years of your life in 4 suitcases. I am not even sure where to start. I have been making piles and going through different sections of my apartment slowly for the past couple weeks, but now I really have to get to it. The funny thing is that the airline told me on Friday that I can actually only take two bags. I just laughed. No thats not really funny, I hope its not true. I am bringing 4 bags to the airport and testing my luck. But I have come to realize its just stuff. I will try to pack my favorite clothes in one bag and gifts and stuff I want from here in another. The other two bags will be stuff that would be nice to have right away, but not necessarily priority. Having bags left here would be a nice excuse for me to come back and visit soon.

I had a goodbye party last week, but a lot of students are on vacation or in their villages and couldn't come. All that came to the party I hope to see again this week. But today I have started saying goodbye. I would like to tell people I will see them again this week, but I know I am going to get busy and I need to just say bye, or better to say "see you later." I know I will be back here, I just don't know when or under what circumstances.

Yesterday I finished up some cover letters and printed up a few copies of my resume and sent them all off. I am trusting that they will all get to where they need to go. I have applied to teach English as a Second Language in three different public schools near my grandfather's house. One is in the same town my mom went to school. I am hoping that I will get one of these jobs, and that way I will have the whole summer off (i.e. a chance to come back here.)

3 comments:

Sarahann said...

Wow! I cannot believe that it is already time. It seemed like just yesterday we were sitting on the balcony having iced coffee talking about the upcoming year. I will be remembering you in the coming weeks.

emily bee said...

awwwwwww!

see you in boston, soon, hopefully, buddy. :) much love from texas!

Anonymous said...

Hey, we are praying for you as you leave. We both know to varying degrees what you are experiencing. We'll be glad to have you in N. America as well. Come up and visit.

Say hello to everyone for us!