Thursday, April 3

No power

(I wrote this yesterday....no power to post it)

Today is the first day I have just been absolutely frustrated with the power situation. Its on for 30 minutes, off for 2 ½ hours, on for 1 hour, off for 2, on for 30 minutes, off again. No schedule. No rhyme or reason. I know I am lucky that I have had such good power lately, with it being off only 1 hour at a time for the last week or so, and that was even limited.

But today I had a lot planned, a lot I wanted to get done, a lot I needed to do on the internet, a lot I wanted to watch on TV. World Autism Day is today, and CNN is showing little autism stories throughout the day….but of course this is the day I am without power. Why??? On one commercial last week about today’s programs I saw my former boss from Vanderbilt (when I used to do Autism research.) I want to see the kids I knew and what they are doing now at Vanderbilt.

Today I was on the phone to a company in America, explained my problem to one person, they transferred me, and I explained my story again. As this person was looking up my file, I glanced at the time, 2:59PM, I thought to say, “If I hand up on you in the next minute its because I am living overseas and my power might go off.” But I though, it just came on 30 minutes ago, it won’t go off now, why confuse this lady with the lack of electricity in this country. I didn’t say anything. As soon as she started talking, telling me what she saw in my records….silence…yes, the power went off. I felt bad that I didn’t warn her. Now I will have to call back later, and I will make sure its not near the hour or half hour, as this is normally when the power will go off.

So now its 7:12PM and I am hungry and trying to decide what to do. Go out and buy something to eat. Take a nap and wait for the power to come back on. Read my book with candle light. Listen to more news or stories on my iPod (this has helped my sanity today – at least I could still listen to my iPod and not just hear the droning noise of the generator outside my window.) And I am thankful I have a laptop with a good battery life. I can usually work on here for one or two hours…or watch 1 hour of a movie.

I think I will go for a walk now, listen to my iPod, and try to find something to eat.

No comments: